Thursday, August 1, 2013

7 Stages of Breastfeeding: A Baby's Perspective


Just for fun in honor of World Breastfeeding Week 2013, I thought I would write something from baby's perspective as a breastfeeding tip for mom.  Here is one tip for every day of this week!
1.  Birth-day Initiation:  My stomach is the size of a marble.  I am loving being skin to skin with Mama and the reward of a swallow of golden colostrum!
2.  10-Day-itis:  After 10 days, I start my first growth spurt.  I want to eat every hour or two and can't get enough of this liquid gold.
3.  6 weeks:  Breastfeeding is easier for me, but pooping is harder.  I am going through another feeding frenzy and things seem to be changing!  I was pooping all the time, but now only once in a while!
4.  3 months:  Another growth spurt.  Love it!  I get to eat as often as I like and no one complains, but I do get a little distracted 'cause there is so much to see while I'm eating.
5.  6 months:  I'm learning to sit up and trying solid foods just for fun.  My mom always lets me nurse first so I don't get too full for my milk, but I think it's so I don't get green beans on her breast!
6.  The Groove:  My mom and I are in a groove, we are nursing whenever and wherever I am hungry.  I may not be nursing as often as I was the first six months, but I can down a meal in 20 minutes if I am not too busy learning new things!
7.  Weaning:  Mom is letting me wean myself.  I haven't decided when yet, but we are in no hurry.  I heard her tell dad that if she does decide to wean me by a certain time that she is only going to drop one feeding no closer than 3 to 5 days apart.  This way, her breasts and my brain have time to get used to the change.   I love my mommy!

Happy World Breastfeeding Week, Mamas!
Tanya Roberts, BSEd, LC
Lactation Connection
{The Nursing Mother's Milk Supply}

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments!